RE: [OM] Oh NO! rewinding / reloading in register.

Subject: RE: [OM] Oh NO! rewinding / reloading in register.
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 12:41:52 +0000
At 15:58 8/4/01, Gregg Iverson wrote:
I haven't tried this with slide film which might have to be realigned for the remaining frames. I also write the frame number on the emulsion side of the film itself. It is good to wind one or two frames past the last shot if you are worried about double exposing the last and next frames.

As Dave said, it is good to come up with a method of loading the film that works for you and then always staying with the same method. It is possible when reloading, to see where the film leader was creased from the tight reverse wind that is put on it in the camera. Insert the leader back to that point.

Gregg

I do approximately the same thing. The take-up spool hook always catches on the second sprocket hole on the lower side of the leader. The upper drive sprocket is in the second or third hole on the upper side of the leader (I'd have to load some film to see which one). Very repeatable.

Even so, there is very little gap between frames. I write the next frame number to be used on the film cartridge and always leave a blank frame between it and the last one exposed. In the grand scheme of things, a single unused frame of film has near zero cost compared to the potential consequence of a pair of overlapped frames. This has worked with negative and transparency, without a problem in printing or slide mounting by any lab I've used, including Kodak's Qualex for the transparency film.

If a 36 exposure roll is within the last half-dozen frames, I won't even bother and simply have the "short roll" processed.

OM Content:
You know in your heart and soul what the *real* solution to this is: multiple OM bodies loaded with different films!

-- John