[OM] 85/2 from the Cretaceous period. An impulse buy?

Subject: [OM] 85/2 from the Cretaceous period. An impulse buy?
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 05:50:44 EDT
Dear List,

Oh heck! I did it this time! I saw an impulse buy at Ace Cameras in Bath UK,
of an 85/2 lens at 259 pounds sterling. I thought "Hmmmm". I phoned them. The
guy said "It's gone, but we do have another one in at 169. It's been cleaned
inside. It is very worn (lettering faded, aperure ring brassing etc.) - _very
worn_ on the outside. The filter thread is still okay though. Its an
excellent minus!"

Of course, that usually means really crap right?

He said the optics are very clean now; our guy has fixed that, but when it
came in it was a real dog (sorry dog-lovers).

So I rang off and waited, got my debit card, and phoned again in 5 minutes
and bought it. He said, "We will mail it this afternoon," (Friday, 3pm). It
arrived this morning (Saturday, 9am). Good old Royal Mail Special Delivery.

I have it on 7 days approval. The glass is very clear, but the outside is
quite terrible! Especially if I compare it to any of my other lenses. It has
been USED! It may have seen the end of the dinosaurs and got caught up in the
meteorite impact. Maybe I should check for rare elements in the dust on the
rubber focusing ring.

Outside in the garden, 9:45 am, bees flitting around on flowers, sunshine on
my back, OM-4Ti and 85/2 in hand (it fits in the OM-4Ti caseas well!) I think
it may be a keeper.  ;-)

Dave Bellamy.