[OM] Re: monopoly / jpeg artifacts - YUK! / Maid of the Mist... bit OT?

Subject: [OM] Re: monopoly / jpeg artifacts - YUK! / Maid of the Mist... bit OT?
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 20:08:25 EDT
1.
<< > > > > Strange word monopoly... MONO = ONE, POLY = MANY... what
 > > to make of
 > > >that >>

Many all held by one? Maybe? Should be!

2.
<< There IS a significant amount of the distinctive jpeg artifacts, and these
will be
more noticeable at sharp linear contrasts. >>

I really hate those - for me they always spoil a picture. I noticed the Mars
Pathfinder images had these all over, whereas the grainy bigger pixel, lower
spatial resolutoin, lower colour resolution Viking images to me looked so
much ... better!

3.
<< If I have to stretch a piece of
> plastic over the front so be it (I've done it before
> when I took pictures of Niagra falls from the Maid of
> the Mist and although there is a degradation of
> picture quality it is acceptable. >>

In July 1983 I was lucky enough to visit the USA on holiday with my
godfather, sadly no longer with us. We went on the Maid of the Mist at the
Canadian Niagara Falls and I took my trusty C*non A-1 along with me. I got a
few shots but the spray was tremendous, and it was difficult for me to get
the camera back inside the bid waterproof poncho thing they gave you to wear.
The A-1 got sprayed.

Later, I was in the car. I tried the camera. It didn't work. I began to get
agitated. My 1-year old camera, all my savings and birthday money - it's
knackered! no digital LED display. Gone. No shutter firing. Gone. I made sure
it was wound on. Try the shutter. Nothing. I checked _everything_ except one
thing.

An hour later, long after I had given up, I realised that it was switched off!

It has worked ever since.

Dave Bellamy.
http://members.aol.com/synthchap/