Re: [OM] Why is the 50mm the brightest lens?

Subject: Re: [OM] Why is the 50mm the brightest lens?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 11:00:18 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

 Just been looking at pages listing all the lenses I'd like, and I noticed
 that the brightness seems to peak at 50mm.

Even Leica tops out at f1 with its 50mm Noctolux for the M series
rangefinders. (Understand a f1 would be just about impossible to focus with
an SLR.)

Why? I thought ease and accuracy of focus improved with faster lenses. I think it is just near impossible to design a retrofocus lens of that speed to clear the slr mirror.

I seem to remember hearing that Vivitar had some kind of super-fast
Vivitar One series lens which was supposed to be f0.95 or some unbeliveable
speed. (Have no clue if this is accurate or not, never saw the lens.
Anyone?)

The famous 0.95 was made by Canon for its rangefinder camera. Sort of looked like a crystal ball attached to a camera.

--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California