Re: [OM] [OT] Work in the U.S. (Was Odd question, an end...)

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Work in the U.S. (Was Odd question, an end...)
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 03:57:06 EDT
In a message dated 7/29/01 9:52:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
c_charlton@xxxxxxxxx writes:

>snip
> people work more as a team, there's no
>  hierachy (sp?) in the work place in the same way as
>  the UK, people share ideas and communicate better,
>  less snobbery and "you should know your place, just do
>  as I say" etc.
>  People in the US seem to work harder and better
>  because they know that it will be rewarded

Oh, we still have our bosses and companies from hell, Chris.  And a wonderful
cartoon strip that mocks them perfectly: "Dilbert".

We do have a fierce sense of democracy, though, and empowering employees is
ultimately rewarding for those companies enlightened enough to share power
and control.

What I love most about the U.S., and this is especially true in the Seattle
area, is the amount of diversity we have.  It enriches our culture and
strengthens us as a nation in ways unimagined.  I think it's the primary
reason the U.S. is a great nation.  If we can do this right...

Went to the Seattle "Torchlight" parade last night (a kick-off for "Seafair",
a two week long party with visiting Naval and Coast Guard ships, "pirates",
airshows, hydroplane races, etc.).  It was great to see people of all
cultures and colors having a great time together.

If you get your job in Boston, be prepared to accept women as equals in the
workforce... and that's all I'll say about that.

And GOOD LUCK!

Rich

P.S.  To see what a Seattleite would rather drive than a Lotus: <A
HREF="http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6558/Seafair/Hydro33.jpg";>
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6558/Seafair/Hydro33.jpg</A>
(there is a fine line between boats and aircraft here -- these things have
the 2000 h.p. turbine from a Huey helicopter, and an F16 canopy, and the
speed of a Formula 1 car  -- one exceeded 205 MPH last year)