Re: [OM] CONTEST e*ay 350/2.8 auction AND THE WINNER IS...

Subject: Re: [OM] CONTEST e*ay 350/2.8 auction AND THE WINNER IS...
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 17:59:48 -0700
My final buy for my daughter was a 35/70 f3.5/4.5. I'm not really into zooms and have only one, but I tried hers out for a couple weeks or so and began to warm to its potential. I can't believe its images blown up will stand to primes of any given focal length, but for an all-round lens that's capable, light and super compact that one's hard to beat. Well, I began to think <g> and the other night I cruised on over to the KEH site to take a look at the f3.6 I'd seen there. Still up for sale. They had it rated BARGAIN,which is what finally moved me to click on it. I've heard the tales of how conservative KEH rates things; this would be the acid test.

Well, the lens came, and I understand why KEH would list as a bargain. Wear and tear is obvious, but in this case it's a the lens that was apparently used a lot by someone who knew and cared for his gear--no gouges or dents or anything like that, the action is smooth, and the glass is, as far as I might determine just looking through it, perfect. Not "good" or "very good" mind you but . . .

        . . . perfect.

For what it's worth, if I ran a shop I wouldn't take in marred glass to begin with. I just couldn't bring myself to sell something like that to anyone. We all know, however, that many shops do. KEH apparently does not. Of course, this is a small sample, as always, But I must say if this is how KEH conducts itself with all transactions then they've got a customer for life. Where I come from that's as reputable as you can get. I always considered B&H as okay, but this is something else.

Tris