Re: [OM] (OM) ~~ opinions on slide film to capture blues, glaciers, etc

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) ~~ opinions on slide film to capture blues, glaciers, etc.
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 21:16:19 +0000
At 18:07 7/27/01, JAmes Olson wrote (in part):

does anyone have experience with the fuji and kodak 100 speed slide films in any similar situations? or just opinions on slide films you enjoy in this speed area...

it is all subjective, obviously, but i'm fishin' for opinions.

james.

Greatest color accuracy among films I've used go to Kodachrome 64, Fuji Provia 100F, Fuji Astia, and Ektachrome EPN-100. Of these I would readily use Kodachrome 64 or Provia 100F as they have moderate saturation which I prefer for most photographs. I would use Fuji Astia if I'm after restrained saturation, which isn't very often.

Films I would not use (and why):
a. Fuji Velvia:
More saturation than I care for, but do consider it better than E100VS (see "e" below). Not as bad with flesh tones as E100VS, but still not that great.
b. Ektachrome EPN-100 (no consumer version):
Very restrained saturation (silmilar to Astia in this respect). Might be great for catalog work, but its colors seem "flat and drab" compared to Astia.
c. Ektachrome E100S (consumer version is Elitechrome 100):
Moderate saturation but noticeably lacks color accuracy.
d. Ektachrome E100SW (no consumer version):
Same as E100S except a "skylight filter" is built into it to make it warmer. Doesn't make sense to me. On the occasions I want warmer I'll use a skylight 1A, but I don't want everything that way.
e. Ektachrome E100VS (consumer version is Elitechrome 100 Extra Color):
Extreme saturation at great expense to color accuracy; IMO more than Velvia. Seems that when it saturates, it does so to the same color; in particular I've noted it has a singular shade of red. Absolutely no good for flesh tones.
f. Ektachrome E200 (consumer version is Elitechrome 200):
Has very nearly the fineness of grain structure as E100S, and is the ISO 200 version in all other respects, including why I don't care for it.
g.  Kodachrome 200 and all ISO 400 (and faster) E-6 films:
Aside from anything else I might like or dislike, the grain structure of these is not fine enough for me. Some swear by Kodachrome 200, and its color accuracy is very high, but it is quite grainy compared to Kodachrome 64.

-- John