Re: [OM] Question about a varimagni finder.

Subject: Re: [OM] Question about a varimagni finder.
From: "Parzival Herzog" <parz@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 15:28:29 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: <pschings@xxxxxxxx>

> On Fri, 27 Jul 2001 14:08:49 -0500 "Parzival Herzog" <parz@xxxxxxxx>
> writes:
> >
> > So I took a closer look: At the camera viewfinder end, at the 2.5x
> > magnification setting, I see a large centered aperture, but at the
> > 1.2x setting, I see a smaller aperture, distinctly off center. The
> > full
> > aperture shows, but one side is in contact with the viewfinder
> > opening,
> > and the other side of the aperture is 25% away from the edge of the
> > v.f. opening.
>
> I'm not sure I understand this. With mine, at the 1.2x setting, I can see
> the full screen (reversed, of course). At 2.5x I see just a magnified
> image of the center of the screen. It doesn't sound like this is what you
> are getting.

What I mean is that if I look AT the varimagni finder device itself, (not INTO
the
finder to see an image,) then looking at the end that connects to the
camera viewfinder, I see one of two lenses, each with a fixed aperture,
depending on the setting of the magnification setting lever.  The aperatures
are mechanically positioned within the round opening in the housing,
and mechanical esthetics would lead me to expect that they would be
centered within the round housing opening. One of the aperatures
is, the larger one for the 2.5x setting, and the other isn't, by a lot.

I hope that makes it clearer. (My description that is)

- Parzival