[OM] Photographing People

Subject: [OM] Photographing People
From: "Reynolds Paul \(NAP\)" <PReynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 15:55:34 +0100
Peter Leyssens wrote:

I know the feeling.  I've never really dared
pointing my lens at complete strangers.  You
shouldn't ask them, because that spoils that
special moment, but I feel like I'm intimidating
people when I point at them.

and

Excuise me ?  Isn't a 24 going to force me to
>hold the lens about 20 centimeters from the
>photographee's nose ?  That won't stop me from
>feeling like I'm intimidating people, right ?

Tris wrote:

It isn't a question of rudeness but the quality of feeling shy on the part
of the picture taker. A good photographer must overcome this feeling of
self-consciousness and just wade out there and do it! Smile agreeably, nod
your head idiotically, and then move on.

I think the latter comment depends upon the circumstances. Having done quite
a lot of this sort of thing of late, both at home (UK) and abroad (Spain)
more recently' I've not (touching wood) ever had a problem. If it's an event
like, for example, an historical reinactment, where people are dressing up
and putting on some sort of show, then the participants more or less expect
it and will be generally helpful. If it is someone busking in the street,
then I don't think it's unreasonable for them to expect payment in return,
since that is what they are there for (money) in any case. In Alhambra I
asked a punkish type guy (not a busker) for a couple of pics and his
reaction was the same - money for "coffee". The fact that it probably wasn't
for "coffee" is besides the point. I don't blame anyone for exploiting such
a situation. In another village in Spain I passed through, the local retired
guys wouldn't let me go until I had photographed more or less all of them.
Heavy on film, but you can't have it both ways, if at the end, you get the
picture of the person you want. The only refusal I had whilst abroad was
from a couple of elderly Spanish senoritas, but as I don't speak the lingo I
wasn't able to break the ice by chatting them up (in the nicest possible
way!) first, which can help.

Generally I use a 90 or a 80--200 at the 200 end, so we are not talking
great intimacy here. At 200mm you can be a bit more cheeky, and get some
more candid stuff, although I've used the 90mm before now and the subject
hasn't noticed!. A gesture of thanks if the subject does notice afterwards
is usually sufficient. 28 or 20mm is another matter, where you are really
having to invade someone's space. This type of portrait photography has been
common in Camera Clubs here in recent years, but sticking your lens up
someone's nose isn't everyone's cup of tea, whichever side of the camera you
are on.

I have often wondered how I would react, if for example, some sort of
accident or disaster occurred where I had a camera with me. I'm sure this
isn't what Tris meant, but to wade in or help? That's the dilemma I suppose.
If you are the only one there to help, then the choice is made for you. On
the other hand, the guy who captured the picture of the policeman shooting
the protester/rioter (take your pick) would have probably have not been
thanked by his editor for intervening, rather than doing his job.

Incidentally there are some wonderful pictures in a book called, if I recall
correctly, Moments, featuring all the Pulitzer photography prize winners,
which I recently picked up at a cheap bookshop in Wolverhampton. Well worth
looking out for. Perhaps someone can give us a link to these pictures on the
web.

I'm off now to capture that decisive moment:-)

Paul Reynolds

This email transmission is confidential and intended for the
addressee only. It may contain privileged and confidential
information. If you are not the person or organisation to
whom it is addressed, you must not copy, distribute, or take
any action in reliance upon it. If you have received this
message in error, please notify the
Postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and return it.

Carillion PLC Registered in England No. 3782379
Registered Office:
Birch Street Wolverhampton WV1 4HY