Re: [OM] Fang - wot Fang

Subject: Re: [OM] Fang - wot Fang
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 11:10:02 +0200 (CEST)
Sam,

I trust, that a visit to the list archieves (if they are
maintained) should do the trick for you....but...

Doris Fang is a legendary list member, who's known for scooping up deals
such as a NIB++ kit containing a OM3Ti with both the 35-80 and the 180/2.8
in a garage sale for USD10,- ;) - and such deals.

Doris Fang consistantly does this - and hence "to fang" has developed into
a verb (as in: "Tom really fanged a nice 180/2.8 the other day" - knowing
Tom, that wouldn't be unlikely?), as has the composition "doris
fang" become a noun (as in: "Tom really got himself a good doris fang").

We're still waiting for Webster to include these terms, but it cannot be
long.

Indications are that Doris Fang exists - there are even some who claims to
have had a personal meeting. I am not among those lucky few - I can but
relay the legend.

I'd vote for introducing the term "scales" too, in honor of our friend Tom
Scales. It should imply something like "indecently large purchaces", which
is kinda implied by the word "scale", embedded in Tom's name. Hence we
could use an expression such as "he really fanged himself a good scales" ,
which would then mean to get a huge truckload of equipment very very cheap
;)

Any linguistics on the list who opposes? ;)

--thomas