Re: [OM] Viruses

Subject: Re: [OM] Viruses
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 10:51:49 -0600
At 10:48 AM 7/25/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>The list automatically strips the attachment, so they are benign.  Not so
>the ones I get in direct mail.
>
>I'm averaging 50-60 copies a day, which makes me:
>
>1) Thankful I am on a cable modem
>2) Confused on why I am in so many address books.

Look at #2 above this way:

There's a popular party game called "Six Degrees of Separation" (with a variant
called "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon").  Essentially, the point of the game is to
determine how far removed you are from someone else's acquaintance.
Invariably, if the connection can be made (information's never complete),
you're six steps away at max from someone else, regardless of who it is.

Same goes for your e-mail address' relationship to virtually everybody else's
e-mail address.  That's why mass-mailer Trojans are so "successful" -- they
play upon this tight coupling of interrelationships worldwide.

Garth