Re: [OM] OT: Silicon Film finally ships??/detailed specs

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Silicon Film finally ships??/detailed specs
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 21:37:18 -0700
on 7/24/01 10:45 AM, Winsor Crosby at wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> * Article says vendor recommends that you use silver film when "you need
>> absolute highest quality"!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tim Hughes
>>

> Now we are to be treated to further degradation of language by such
> meaningless phrases as "silicon film" and its alternative "silver
> film" which mostly includes films with no silver in them?  Isn't
> marketing wonderful.  Whee.

Remember four or five years ago, when digital 640x480 cameras were new, and
cost $500...? These guys might be the equivalent. Given the rate of
innovation in electronics, it just might be the next thing coming. Larger
CCD (probably CMOS) sensors are the trend, and when one gets to 24mm x 36mm
with high enough density, there will be a market for a device that can fit
existing equipment (although I doubt anyone will support old manual-focus
stuff). If you have $10000 of N*kon or C*non lenses and autofocus
wonderbrick bodies, and someone comes out with a $500 or $1000 device that
makes your gear the equivalent of a $2000 new digital body, you have a
market.

Side note -- I thought the fundamental chemistry of 'silver' film required
some silver halides, even if the particle are very small and the silver
content is minimized. Am I totally out of touch with what Fuji, Kodak, and
the rest are up to now...?
--

Jim Brokaw