Re: [OM] Celestron 300mm

Subject: Re: [OM] Celestron 300mm
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 02:33:42 -0700
on 7/20/01 12:05 AM, Norma Foltz at nfoltz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Dear Jim -
>
> I read awhile back that you have a Celestron 300 mm
> It has been along while since I've seen one.  At the Orion
> Telescope Store near Santa Cruz circa 1983.
>
> I remember that it was incredibly small for such a long Focal Length.
>
> What is the filter size (diameter) on the front of that lens ?
> Does it accept filters on the back side ?
>
> -- Hank Hogan <hogant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hank -- it is quite small, smaller than my Zuiko 100/2.0 which is longer
although about the same diameter. The lens uses a T-mount to fit on the
camera which adds about 3/8" to the mounted length. The front filter thread
is a 67mm (I think, its not in front of me) and there is also a thread on
the rear element that takes a little screw-on filter which I have never
measured. Its probably a little larger than a quarter, so ~30mm? Its also
hollow, so its quite light, easily hand held although you really need at
least 1/500 exposure to be sure of reasonable sharpness. I like it for what
I use it for, although if I wanted a critically sharp 300mm picture I'd use
my Zuiko 300/4.5 lens.
--

Jim Brokaw