[OM] What an odd day....

Subject: [OM] What an odd day....
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 22:04:45 -0500
This has truly been an odd day.

Honestly, it really hasn't been going well.  For those of you that have been
on the list for awhile, you know that my wife's health has been very poor.
The last seven months, though, have been pure heaven.  Her transplanted
pancreas has been working and she has been healthier than she has been in
many years.  It has truly been life changing.

Unfortunately, the last few days haven't gone as well. She has become ill
again and her pancreas isn't functioning as well.  She went into the
hospital and they are trying to figure it out.  They are hopeful that it is
just an infection and they can clear it up.  The signs are positive -- the
pancreas is still functioning and doesn't seem to be rejecting.

So, I just got home from a long day at the hospital, trying to keep her
spirits up.  The kids are at the babysitters for the weekend, so it is just
me and the cat.  He is truly uphappy -- you can tell he wonders where
everyone else is and seems to need a lot of attention.

Let's hope it all goes well.

When I got home though, the opposite end of the spectrum kicked in.  There
was a huge box from UPS on the porch -- the first of the two kits I just
bought.  The seller described everything as mint condition -- which usually
means it was a small truck that ran over it, rather than a large truck.

Not in this case.

I am slowly pulling out the pieces from the box.  It is almost magical.

I just pulled out a 35-105 zoom.  In the original box.  With the hood.  In
the original packing. With the instruction manuals and the original receipt.
It barely looks like it has been mounted on a camera.

Next came an OM-1n.  Also in the box, manual, receipt.  With the Shoe 4.
With the little plastic protector in the shoe. With the plastic protector on
the base plate. With the MD cap.  SN 1836xxx. Purchased on October 11, 1980
in Australia.  It's like opening a brand new OM-1n from another time.

OK, let's reach in the box again -- a Winder 2 in box.  Purchased May 8,
1983 in Singapore.

An OM-4.  August 11, 1984. Honolulu

28/2.8, 35/2.8, screens, caps, filters.  T32, T20.

Every lens has a thin OM filter on it.

Guess I'm at the bottom of the box.  I can breathe now.

If I'd worked for Olympus I'd have felt like this every day.

Time for bed.

Tom