Re: [OM] Aperture Modification

Subject: Re: [OM] Aperture Modification
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 12:44:35 +0000
At 05:35 7/20/01, John Robinson wrote:

--- Chris Charlton <c_charlton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  --- Paul Wallich <pw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: > At 11:00
> Whoooooshhhh..........
>
> (That was the sound of that flying over my head at
> high speed...)
>
> Chris ;o)
Interesting question Chris, and the advise given is
well grounded in both math and practial use....however
don't let the facts stop YOU from experimenting.
Sometimes quite suprising and pleasent results come
from breaking the rules. I think a T-mount type lens
with a focal length of 35mm would be about right. They
are often available for $5 or so but you would need an
T-OM adapter. On many of these lenses you could gain
access to the diaphram fairly easy. Just buy some thin
shim brass at the hobby shop, cut a circle to fit over
the diaphram, and drill a 3/4mm hole in the center of
the brass disc, reassemble the lens and try it out.
Not quite f64 (about f45) but you should get almost
unlimited depth of field...fun fun.    John Robison

I agree with this completely.

The photographer defines the image with a creative vision of what it will be. No photograph records or represents 100% reality compared to how humans would perceive what they see with their own eyes at the exact time and location the photograph was made.

Let nothing I've written be construed as a set of constraining rules to follow. All we have are the Physics of Light and Optics _theories_ as we currently understand them (note I didn't call them immutable laws). These provide predictable and quantifiable cause-and-effect relationships (not rules).

There is no artistic "right" or "wrong," only vocabulary tools to define and describe artistic expression for communicating opinion about the artistic aspect of a photograph. What truly matters is whether or not the photographer is achieving the envisioned image in the finished photograph. Only the photographer who made the image can answer that. This is the reason I cling to the notion a photographer should understand as much as possible about technical cause-and-effect in practical application: to support achieving an artistic vision using predictable and repeatable methods.

Try it and see what happens! I presumed the original question was aimed at optimizing DOF without any sharpness degradation, but that could be a dangerous presumption.

-- John