[OM] I-80 Iowa point of interest

Subject: [OM] I-80 Iowa point of interest
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 13:38:58 -0700 (PDT)
Ok, summer travellers.  For those of you passing through Iowa on
Interstate 80, may I suggest a fine location to burn through
some film?

Take Exit 179 (Oakland Acres) north 1/3 mile, hang a right and
follow the dirt road about a half mile.  This will take you to
the Jacob Krumm Nature Preserve.  This is a 450 acre restored
grassland and forest.  There are four bodies of water (various
sizes, woods, prairie, hills and several miles of easy to walk
mown trails.

Lat 41 42 22, Lon -92 46 38.

I have passed this location every day going to/from work and
only recently discovered its very existance.
Fortunately/unfortunately so have few others.  I have yet to
encounter anyone outside of the parking lot.  I've been leaving
for work much earlier now so I can hike the trails in the
morning.

>From the interstate, you can be in the Preserve in two minutes.
The flowers in the prairie are in full bloom right now and there
is substantial diversification of wildlife and plantlife.  One
morning I saw racoon, deer (one as big as an elk!), a blue
heron, prairie and water birds of many types and a fox.

This location is about one hour east of Des Moines and just a
single exit west of Grinnell. (look for the rest area)

Excellent photo opportunities, easy access and a break from the
Interstate-80 monotony.  When passing through, take an hour
break from the driving and enjoy a bit of prairie, walking and
Oak Savanna.  The reserve is almost completely divided in two by
a large farmstead, so it actually has far more spread than a
single 450 acre chunk of land would have.

I know of only one other list member here in the area (Hi Joel),
but I-80 is a major travel route so I thought I should pass this
one on.

Ken N.
Newton Iowa