[OM] How to cure 90mm f2 envy

Subject: [OM] How to cure 90mm f2 envy
From: "O.C" <oben@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 14:05:33 +1000

Well I've just had a chance to mount the new 100mm f2 on my 4Ti and I think I am instantly in love with this lens. I had high respect for the 100/2.8 but this is in another league. The 90mm f2 had relegated the 100/2.8 to the benches. With the arrival of the 100mm f2 it has become even more so. It even looks like the 90/2 is going to come out only when I need a reproduction ratio > 1:5.

Because thats what the 100mm f2 delivers ~1:5 ratio! IMO thats absolutely amazing for a 'standard' 100mm and a sure sign of the optical excellence of this lens. The 1:5 ratio is close to being a macro lens and in my testing around the gardens most flowers are beautifully framed with this ratio (and lets face it flowers are the most common macro subject - see TOPE 6 if you don't believe me).

It also looks terrific; better than a 90mm f2 in some ways. It has an in-built hood. It has ED glass! In most price guides it is $200 US less than the 90mm f2....

I got mine for $450 US... brand new in box.

I think the message becomes clear. It has instantly become my all time favorite lens.

Oben

Ohhh.. after all the advice/flames about 35/2's recently etc I got one of those too by a stroke of luck! Someone was selling a mint OM2N Black with 50/1.4 and separately a 35mm f2... I asked him whether he'd take off the 50/1.4 and put on the 35/2 instead. He said yes.. all for $250 US. Nice deal I thought :) So now I have my favorite pre OM 3, or 4 camera in my favorite colour too... OM2N Black with a bonus 35/2 with case.