Re: [OM] U.S. Postal Service (Was Well, sometimes you just get hosed...)

Subject: Re: [OM] U.S. Postal Service (Was Well, sometimes you just get hosed...)
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 04:47:33 EDT
> >FWIW, in at least 2000 shipments via US Postal Service, I've never had
>  >damage and only once did a COD package get rifled of its contents.  But
>  >there have been a few long delayed international shipments.
>  >Gary Reese

When you consider the incredible volume of mail (dozens of millions of
letters, parcels, bulk rate, "junk mail", tax forms, etc.) the USPS handles
on a DAILY basis, 365 days a year (it was a GAS to deliver parcels on
Christmas Eve -- like being Santa Claus!), they do a pretty damn fine job.
Yes there are idiot clerks, carriers, truck drivers, mail handlers, and
management (all the way to Washington, D.C.).... but on the whole, having
been an employee for over 4 years, I'm very impressed with how much the
average Postal employee (yeah, manager, too) cares, and tries to do his or
her best to provide good service to the public.

And for the most part, they DO provide excellent service.  When you consider
how many employees the USPS has, and the fact that six unions are involved,
it's inevitable that you'll run into a dummy,  deadbeat, or jerk from time to
time.

I haven't got the 2000 shipments experience Gary has, but my experience has
been the same.  No lost mail/parcels, no damage, ever.  Knock on wood.  They
never lose my bills, either, dammit!

And I find that the average window clerk has customer service skills above
those exhibited in other public service jobs.  Try state child support
enforcement for a contrast.  And boy, do postal employees take a lot of abuse
from grumpy, ignorant customers.  Especially window clerks.  They take the
heat for every other postal employee's mistakes.  Nope, I was never a window
clerk.  Wanted nothing to do with it.  I'm not THAT dumb!  (And I love
working with the public, otherwise).

I would surmise that most of the problems with international mail/parcels
have more to do with foreign postal services, customs foreign & domestic,
sloppy, theiving airline employees, etc.... in other words, factors OTHER
than the USPS.  That's how much faith I have in the USPS.

Rich (getting ready to mail my OM-2n with obstinate mirror to John H., with
confidence).