Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #2537-Screens-

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #2537-Screens-
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 14:35:01 -0700
John's work is excellent. The grid he imposes on the focus screen divides the view area into nine (9) symmetrical rectangular areas, with the focus circle situated exactly at the center of the middle rectangle. The lines appear as distinct yet unobtrusive thin black lines over the focus screen that divide the view area into compositional areas or zones.

This approach works quite well. The photographer at all times has ready reference points for relational distance and for both level and plumb (vis-a-vis your relative camera position), while at the same time he is afforded a sort of overview of his photographic canvas--in terms of subject composition--upon which he intends to "paint" his next picture.

It's simple, it's elegant, it works. Try it!

Tris