Re: [OM] Recharging Mercury Batteries?

Subject: Re: [OM] Recharging Mercury Batteries?
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 03:12:27 EDT
 ll.clark@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Chris H100, any comment? >>

I have not read anything about recharging Hg batteries, but I am sure the
manufacturer would not endorse doing it, because of liability.

I wouild offer some general comments:

Hg batteries in OM's last so long the seals are likely to have degraded.  The
slightest excess charge may then cause leaks because of pressure rise in the
cell.

The small solar chargers I have seen are very simple devices usually just a
few photovoltaic cells and a series diode to stop reverse current flow .  You
could probably build a better charger with any old discarded wall wart and an
added current limit resisitor for a few cents.

There is probably a significant explosion risk unless you keep the current
very small say well under a mA. (guess!)  The solar chargers probably charge
slowly enough because of their tiny area!

I would recommend just getting the camera converted to AgO cells.

                  Regards,
                 Tim Hughes