[OM] How the list saved my OM-2s; was OM Battery Problems History....

Subject: [OM] How the list saved my OM-2s; was OM Battery Problems History....
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 21:39:43 -0400
Max asked:
... From such a long time I've been listen problems with batteries on
the OM group, specialy on the OM-2sp and the OM-4 (later models). Some
people give me "solutions" like, "it was a problem from
olympus" or "on past years the batteries where made from silver and work
for longer time" or "there is a problem with one circuit", I'm tired of
that !

somebody knows the real story ?

I'll answer you with a real story.  About 10 years ago I bought an OM-2s
after having owned an OM-1 for 15 years prior to that.  I bought it used
via a Shutterbug ad and at an attractive price.  True to form, I never
really tested the camera.  Seemed to work OK and then it went into the
closet for the 2-3 month interval that is usual for me between shooting
sessions.  When I took it out the batteries were dead.  Replaced them
and then when the camera came out again a few months later the batteries
were dead again.  I tried this several times and came to the conclusion
that the camera was defective.  It had an internal short.  By this time
it was too late to return the camera to the seller.  The ON-2s went back
into the closet... for the next 8 years.

Then, two years ago I discovered this list and the Oly FAQ.  I began to
read about the normal current draw for an OM-2s.  Measured my own camera
and discovered that it was "normal" for its type. So I then dragged the
OM-2s out again and began following people's advice to remove the
batteries when the camera was not in use. I even submitted my own
suggestion. Changing the batteries is less of a hassle if you run a thin
ring of tape around them so they can be handled as a single battery.

I then began to read about the difference it made to use ONLY silver
oxide batteries, preferably the 357.  I couldn't imagine how that could
make much of a difference but I tried it and it's true.  It makes an
amazing difference.  I don't know how long my batteries last now but it
is at least 6 months and maybe as long as 9 months or longer.  This also
includes occasional flash use on the old style flash ready light which
also draws current from the camera batteries.

Furthermore I went out and bought a bunch of 357 batteries (some shared
with the list members).  Buying in bulk the price was substantially less
than 1 USD apiece.  Now, the batteries are so cheap and lasting so long
that I don't even bother to take the batteries out anymore.  Never did
like that hassle and never could remember to do it.

Anyhow, the end of the story is that the OM-2s is now my favorite camera
and I went out and bought another one from a list member.  I have OM-1,
OM-2, OM-G, and OM-PC in addition to my OM-2s's but the OM-2s is the
favorite now that its battery hunger is in check.  I could kick myself
for banishing it to the closet for 8 years.

The moral of the story is never, ever use anything other than a silver
oxide battery.  They are designed to put up with the small, continous
current draw of a watch.  That's exactly what the 2s, 3(T) and 4(T) do.
Continuously draw a small current.  Silver oxide will cure most of the
problem even for the older current hungry 4's.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA