[OM] [OT] Status of the helicopter pilot

Subject: [OM] [OT] Status of the helicopter pilot
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 22:18:36 -0400
For those of you who've been following the saga of my son's road back to
health following his September 1999 helicopter crash (wow, it really is
coming up on two years):

Two weeks ago he started flying again with the New York State Police as
an "observer".  This is not pilot or copilot even but a totally new
position created (I think) just to accommodate him.  He still suffers
from random bouts of mild vertigo although they are dramatically less
than immediately after the accident.  The observer designation is a
temporary thing to see how he actually fares with the vertigo while in
the air.  His therapy has been directed first at resolving the problem
and second at teaching the brain to ignore that part that didn't get
fixed.  If he still can't shake it within the next nine months he will
likely be placed on medical disability.  He will not be a happy camper
if that happens.

He also had some shoulder surgery recently because of nagging pain which
has been there ever since the accident.  Exploratory surgery found some
small bone fragments kicking around which had not shown up on Xrays.
They were removed and he now feels a lot better.

Sorry, no Oly content at all except that all the pictues I take of my
son and his family are always done with Olympus equipment.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA