[OM] A story of a Greek wedding trip

Subject: [OM] A story of a Greek wedding trip
From: Sam Shiell <Sam.Shiell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 15:39:08 +0100
Hi all,

Time to bore you all with another photo-story...

We've just come back from a week in Athens where we went to my Wife's
friends (who's Greek) wedding. This has been the first serious outing of my
new kit so an extra exciting time for me.

I would have been castrated if I came back without any pictures, so I
decided to take the full outfit with just in case ,,, the OM1, OM2n, T32, an
old National flash (GN40), my new BG2, 3 lenses, a Sliks table-top tripod
and my trust old Weston Euromaster meter, plus 20 rolls of film.

The first thing that no-one warned me about was the weight... the Airline
has a hand luggage limit of 5 Kilos and had scales by the check-in desks...
my bag was pushing 9 Kilos, so we did a quick bit of shuffling of kit into
my Wife's hand luggage, into my pockets and strapping one body with the
heaviest lens around my neck, but the check-in clerk didn't care anyway.

The first day the girls went on a "hen-day" so I spent a glorious day around
the Acropolis where I shot 2 rolls without any of the guilty "You go ahead,
I'll catch you up later" feeling ...

The best bit was of course the wedding. The service was outside the church
at around 21:00 and I upset the official photographer because I was
"interfering with their flash!" (i.e. presumably they didn't like someone
who looked like serious competition... she only had a couple of old-looking
N*kk*ns with one flash between them). I did a total of 5 rolls that night
and would have done more if I had taken any more film with. I stuck with the
Fuji 400 as a good speed compromise.

The T32/bounce grip performed superbly... After taking probably 50 shots the
bride started Greek dancing and I fired off around 15 shots as quickly as I
could wind-and-press, and the flash was there every time (this was outside
at 02:00 in the morning, so the flash was giving a fair output). The party
finally pegged out at around 04:30 and we spent the rest of the next day
zzz'ing away in the hotel room.

Of course the real test will be when the prints come back, but the
photographic content of the week just made this perfect (you know, Wife;
drink; sun and an oly.... what more is there?)

I have to report that Zuikoholicism isn't always a downward spiral. The Wife
even commented on how happy I was!

Regards,

Sam