Re: [OM] Does the 50mm f1.8 open to f2? the 50mm f1.2 open to f1.4?

Subject: Re: [OM] Does the 50mm f1.8 open to f2? the 50mm f1.2 open to f1.4?
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 10:05:01 +1000
>Anyways the real reason I am splitting this particular hair is
>to find out the relative values of the f1.2, and the f1.4 lenses
>compared to the f1.8. I don't have an f1.2 I'm just going
>by the pictures of the lens. The f1.2 lens has no f1.4  aperture
>ring indication, so  presumably if truth in advertising prevails,
>the f1.2 lens set at f2.0 opens to the last aperture click stop position
>at f1.2, and f1.4, a full stop down, is not readily available.
>(Can this be true?)

Indeed it is - straight from f2 to f1.2. Blinding light! I guess the theory
is that if you're going sub-f2 for a shot, you go all the way.

>I think I want an f1.2 but my Jiminy Cricket is chirping "is the $400
>or so that this lens is going for now worth the 2 stops?"
>(Or is it really 1.5 stops? - hence my question.)  Yes, I know
>Skip Williams' data says the average price is $260, but dealers
>and recent auctions are asking for and getting more.
>- Parzival

Just bought a mint example for AU$395 (about US$200). Looks like it was a
good investment! It is very pretty indeed although I haven't given it much
exercise yet. Given the quality of fast films these days, of course it's
not really worth it - unless you've got big glass fetishes (and it looks
soooooooooo good!). What's common sense got to do with this?
I'm now looking for the hood - if anyone trips over one. I suppose it's
still available new? I presume that it does not share a hood with the 1.4
and 1.8 because their common hood will not reverse over it for storage -
please enlighten me if I'm wrong.
AndrewF