[OM] OM2 Spot Program - new problem class?

Subject: [OM] OM2 Spot Program - new problem class?
From: "O.C" <oben-nospam-@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2001 10:56:05 +1000

Dear List,

Yesterday I returned an OM2SP to the camera shop where I bought it on the 9/6/2000. It had only been 20 days and I must admit I had fired the shutter over a thousand times just to hear that lovely sound it makes. I loaded it with film yesterday to shoot some of the scenery outside my place.

I framed up the scene I was going to take in a vertical fashion and the view went dark all of a sudden! I put the camera horizontal and the view returned. I removed the lens to find that the mirror was free of its frame and could be moved by simply moving the camera body! I was so glad I didn't press the shutter like I was going to, doing perhaps untold damage.

I would imagine the mirrors on the 3 & 4 are the same being half mirrored etc. Is this a common problem? Apparently the previous owner had used the camera in very cold environments. The shop expert thought the glues may have become brittle and come loose because of it. He offered me free repair or a refund. I decided on a refund even though he assured me two dollops of glue would hold it back in place for another 20 years.

Has anyone else faced this mirror problem?