Re: [OM] Taking my OM4T & tent trailer to the Pacific Northwest

Subject: Re: [OM] Taking my OM4T & tent trailer to the Pacific Northwest
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 16:01:06 -0700
> ...the Hoh Rain Forest, one of the most amazing places I've ever visited.
> Only rain forest in North America, around 199 inches a year, but .....

It is an amazing place. And a good place to take pictures. However the
often repeated part about the only rain forest in NA and wettest place
in the lower 48 is a myth. The 200" rainfall is an estimate and for a
very localized area.  It is probably equally wet in many other areas of
the North Cascades as well. As far as the NA rain forest part goes I'm
sure our neighbors on Vancouver Island and the lower mainland of BC can
vouch for the fact that there is no rain forest monopoly on the Olympic
peninsula. What makes the Hoh unique is that it is in an easily
accessible  public park and protected from the chain saws.

Mike