Re: [OM] Taking my OM4T & tent trailer to the Pacific Northwes

Subject: Re: [OM] Taking my OM4T & tent trailer to the Pacific Northwes
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 10:23:17 -0700
> > I am wondering if there might be any recommendations from list members
> >  who are familiar with the Pacific northwest and have any favourite spots
> >  in mind.

John,

Unfortunately July is the high season and there really aren't any places
on the coast free of the swarming masses. You've probably been to
Parksville or out to Long Beach/Tofino so you know what I'm talking
about. There are some relatively remote areas in coastal Olympic NP but
they are about 15km from the road and much farther from good wine :(  My
recommendation would be to do the loop around the Olympic Peninsula
starting from Whidbey Island to Pt Townsend as Rich suggests. Then stop
at the numerous state and national park campgrounds along the way.
There's Sequim Bay, Dungeness Spit, and many others as you head west and
then south. Some of the beaches can only be reached by a 5 km or so walk
like Cape Alava but the walk is worth it. From the south end of the
national park near Aberdeen you could head south to Wilapa Bay, Long
Beach Peninsula, Astoria and the Oregon Coast or swing back north and up
Hood Canal. On the Oregon coast the crowds are heavy on the northern
part but thin out by the time you reach the OR CA border. If it were me
I would just head down I5 to Eugene and then over to the coast. Save the
northern section for an off season trip. Be prepared for fog right on
the coast  which only stretches inland a few hundred meters. Head inland
to dry out as was suggested. Enjoy the trip

Mike