AW: [OM] Taking pictures of Mars

Subject: AW: [OM] Taking pictures of Mars
From: "Dr. Rainer Wagner" <Rainer.Wagner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 12:35:25 +0200

-----Ursprungliche Nachricht-----
Von: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]Im Auftrag von Olaf Greve
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 27. Juni 2001 11:22
An: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Betreff: RE: [OM] Taking pictures of Mars
Hi Olafo,
a few more cents from me

Hi,

>That doesn't sound too bad, also, Mike's suggestion for the $5 home made
>wooden mount doesn't sound bad.

     Make a Google search for "Barndoor drive", and you will get all sorts
of information from simple to very elaborated.

>In your opinion: at what exposure times do such star field pictures become
>interesting? Is it necessary to take pictures that last several minutes, or
>are the results of pictures with a 10-20 seconds exposure time also
>interesting enough already?

    I have used 15 sec exposure with a 50/1,9 and kodak gold 1000 and could
even see the so called north america nebula in  the constellation Cygnus.

> As far I know, pushing the film does not affect the reciprocity defect.
> There are methods used for minimizing the defect but there are not easy
> (very low temperature, or "washing" the film before exposure in a nitrogen
> bath...).

Yowza! Aren't there any more subtle ways to get around this issue? Also,
does anyine know how badly Provia 100F pictures look when they suffer from
reciprocity failure?

The process to increase film speed and reduce reciprocity failure is called
"hypering" and is not easily done at home . In Germany, there is a source
were you can buy "hypered" films of various type : http://www.astrofilm.de/.
I guess they would ship to the netherlands, or you could even ask me... they
sit in Dueren, very close to my home.

Cheers
Rainer