RE: [OM] TOPE

Subject: RE: [OM] TOPE
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 11:00:16 +0200
Hi Peter (and other list members),

First off: a belated, yet sincere: welcome back to the list after having
been away for a long time, it's good to see you decided to join the list
again! :)

Then, the replies to your questions:

> I've just seen on the TOPE page that the macro theme closed May 30th.
However, I also
> notice that new entries are announced every other day ! Until when has the
deadline been
> extended ?

The deadlines have not really been extended: I basically work with the
following deadlines for TOPE:
1-Shooting interval deadline (takes place after 6 weeks of shooting);
2-Initial launch deadline (takes place roughly 2 weeks after the shooting
deadline);
3-Anonimity period deadline (takes place roughly 2 weeks after the initial
launch deadline);
4-Final submission deadline (takes place roughly 2 weeks after the anonimity
deadline).

Some more explanation (per number):
1-This is when shooting roughly needs to end, however, there's some leeway
there and at times (my call!) I allow submissions that have been shot out of
the shooting period. However, generally spoken I do strongly motivate people
to adhere to the shooting deadlines, so the idea of shooting intervals etc.
does not get lost.
2-During the first two weeks after the shooting officially ends, I will
simply gather submissions and don't post them yet, then 2 weeks after the
shooting period ends, I launch the pictures I have collected up until that
time in one go, this is what is called the initial launch.
3-After the initial launch, there's a 2-week anonimity period, to leave in
the dark who shot which shot. It was decided on-list that this is more fun
than straight away revealing who shot which shot, and it gives people the
opportunity to perhaps look less biased at certain submissions (although I
don't really think that's a big issue amongst the list members). Finally,
there's one list member who's always very keen on figuring out who shot
which shot, so it's fun to see him make educated (off-list) guesses too :)))
4-The final submission deadline, finally, takes place roughly two weeks
after the anonimity period is lifted. Typically, at that time most people
who wanted to submit something, have already done so, but at times people
have late entries due to lack of access to scanners, etc. These two weeks
should be seen as an extension for such cases. Once a TOPE event is
officially closed, I'd rather leave it closed without adding more entries to
it, although also in this respect the rare exception has been made.

That's roughly the way the deadlines work, nonetheless, at times I decide to
deviate slightly from them, and of course I can always be bribed ;))) (just
kidding, of course, no bribing necessary).

> I just shot a couple of pictures yesterday, to test my new, huggable
90mm/f2.0 and I'm
> wondering if they could make it.
>
> I have to say that they're slides, I don't have a negative scanner, and
the earliest I can
> get prints back & scanned would be in 2 weeks' time. If that's a problem,
then I'll just
> skip this theme.

Now, to demonstrate what I meant with "certain exceptions", as you weren't
around on the list when most of the TOPE stuff was discussed, and you joined
it again around the end of the TOPE 6 shooting interval, AND you just
obtained a great new Macro-Zuik-Toy, you have my word that for this time
I'll make an exception for you. Indeed, this once you're allowed to send in
a submission which was shot a few weeks after the shooting deadline. Please
do try to get the submission to me before the final submision deadline, if
possible, though. :)

Sooo, as far as I'm concerned you're free to participate for TOPE 6 still,
and also it should be mentioned that TOPE 1 (self portraits) is open ended,
so you can still submit for that gallery too. Then, a more difficult call
was to have to reject some entries that were sent to me off-late for TOPE
2 - TOPE 5. List consensus was not to accept them, and so it has been
decided (even though it was great work).

O.k., the above is then a special exception for Peter, for the above
mentioned reasons, as I believe the other list members were around here long
enough in order to adhere to the shooting interval guidelines :)

Cheers!
Olafo