RE: [OM] Question about the GN 40 Flash -- Hank

Subject: RE: [OM] Question about the GN 40 Flash -- Hank
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 10:12:19 -0400
Hank,
I haven't used NiMH batteries yet in my G40.  I got it on a Friday (KEH
bargain) and put it on the camera to use on Saturday and Sunday.  Put fresh
alkalines in it and ran 6 rolls of film through it being careful to shut off
the flash when not using it.  At the end of the 6th roll the recycle time
was getting a little dicey (~10 seconds).
Many of the shots I made were 20+ feet from subject in a church with high
ceiling so lots of light going out.  If I had retained the presence of mind
to pack extra batteries for the flash, I certainly would have put them in.
However, I did some checking of the camera batteries since I was also using
the camera flash in conjunction with the G40 - those batteries and recycle
time are still fine.

Some (over a roll) were taken from the back of the church to the front of
the church, a distance of over 50 feet.  All perfectly exposed.  Again, to
restate part of my original post, I was stunned by the quality of the
photos.  As my friend and I looked at them the next day (I used the local
discount store overnight processing), we could hardily speak to each other.
The timing of the shutter release was also a big factor, when I pressed the
button, the shutter fired. The lack of lag gave me what I envisioned on
film. What I might have hoped for in another camera, but been disappointed
with, did not occur.  I have used some point and shoots that have a long lag
time for flash and/or focus after pressing the shutter, the IS-3/G40
combination does not suffer from that in any way.

I will try NiMH next and try to give some feedback on this combination.  In
the meantime, I notice that Quantum makes an XA/MA adapter for the G40 and
the Battery 1, 1+...

Regarding my experience at Vivitar, it would have little to do with my
experience with ED glass or the IS-L macro, except that I intend to acquire
one of those lenses!  The reports I've read regarding the quality of the
lenses in both the IS-3 and IS-30 (I'm using these as examples, not the only
models) combined with discussions I have had with some Olympus folks and
photo dealers tells me that Olympus has a winner here that many of us have
overlooked for some obvious reasons.  By that I mean that many of us haven't
looked at these cameras because they do not have interchangeable lenses.
Mistake.

Brian P. Huber