[OM] "lucky than good"

Subject: [OM] "lucky than good"
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 21:19:09 +0200
Garth

Thanks for that.  Stephen Leacock's idea is a robust one.  I remember
that it was quoted by one of the commanders in the Falklands Conflict
in 1982, when luck played a significant part in the result of a
battle... you make your own luck in a tough world.

But the former, more flippant, quip was taught me by USAF pilots when
debriefing F16 HUD (Head-up display) video of bombing attacks on the
range in Florida: "You were lucky with that bomb/strafe attack!"... "
I would rather be lucky than good!"

Reminiscing complete.

Chris

At 11:55 AM 6/17/2001 +0100, Chris Barker wrote:
 >How does it go?  "I should rather be lucky than good ... ", or is
it " ... the more I practise, the luckier I get ..." ?

Chris:

The original quote is actually attributed to the Canadian humorist
Stephen Leacock, who said "I'm a great believer in luck, and the
harder I work, the luckier I get."

Garth