[OM] Manual Adaptor - upgrade advice

Subject: [OM] Manual Adaptor - upgrade advice
From: "Erwin Voogt" <photovoogt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 10:34:04 -0000
Cc: jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

Jon wrote:

OK, so lots of questions, all basically saying HELP -
I need to replace /upgrade and need advice !!

The OM10 is the only OM camera that needs a manual adapter (OK, the OM101 also needs one). The OM2(n) and other single digit OMs are of course the stronger build cameras. However, this does not mean the double digit cameras are bad. An advantage of the double digit OMs is that the can be bought incredibly cheap. I bought my OM30 for 30 guilders = $12 = 8 pounds! The OM40 (or OM-PC as it is called in the US) is the only double digit OM featuring TTL flash. It also features mirror-lock up with the selftimer, the excellent ESP measurement and program-exposure. My OM40 is 13 years old now and has survived many extreme situations. Have a look on my site and judge for yourself. I have also an OM1 and an OM2n and used to have an OM4. I was never a big fan of my OM4, but I think that's a rather exotic opinion. I use the OM1 only for negative film. For slides I use the OM2n and/or OM40 nowadays in a 60:40 ratio. I don't like the hotshoe of the OM2n. I do like the limited battery use of the OM2n (and all its pro-features). The OM40 (and OM4) are real battery eaters. I use the OM30 for experiments with the in-focus-trigger. It is a nice camera though. It needs 5 SR44's to operate. Of course, have a look at the esif site for detailed information about all the OM cameras. A final tip: just be patient. I you want an OM40 today, you will probably pay $175, if you look around for a while, you are probably able to buy it for less than $50...
I hope this helps a little.

Bye,

Erwin Voogt
Utrecht, The Netherlands