[OM] 6V Battery Pack Puzzle

Subject: [OM] 6V Battery Pack Puzzle
From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 00:55:27 -0700
I have a 6V battery pack for a Winder 2 that is giving me quite a puzzle. It
doesn't work... but apparently it doesn't work ONLY when it's in inserted in
the Winder.

It had a little battery leakage on it. I cleaned it very carefully (hey,
believe it or not, I'm a trained electronics type, so I actually know what
I'm doing here, for a change). Got all the contacts clean and bright, both
in the battery compartment and on the end where the fingers inside the
Winder make contact. Inserted it in a perfectly good Winder. It doesn't fire
the Winder.

So the obvious thing to do is to grab a meter and check for 6 volts at the
end contacts, just in case there's something broken that I didn't spot.
Measures just under 6 volts. Pop it back in the Winder and measure the
voltage on the contact pins on top of the Winder: also just under 6V, which
one would think means the Winder is getting power. However, the Winder will
not fire. With any other pack I've got around here it WILL fire. Tried the
pack in another Winder, as well. It won't fire that one, either.

Anyone have any idea what gives?

---
Scott Gomez