RE: [OM] Problem with OM PC

Subject: RE: [OM] Problem with OM PC
From: Chip Stratton <cstrat@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 09:07:31 -0500
I sent a reply to this last night via my Yahoo email account, but it doesn't
seem to have made it to the list, so I'll try here from home.

Your  OM-PC problems are probably one of  two maladies. The repairable
malady  is the least common I think.

1. Repairable: Oily shutter magnet. Doesn't happen as often as with the OM10
by any means, but I have heard that it occurs. If your shutter is 'sluggish'
after the body has sat for awhile, but seems to get better after a few
exposures, this may well be the problem. It is not too difficult to repair.

2. Non-repairable: The  dreaded 'Degenerative Circuit Disease' (a phrase
coined by the Doris Fang of OM list legend). A common manifestation of this
one is that the shutter locks up if asked to make an exposure of longer than
some threshold which  seems to  be dependent on the severity of the
disease, and you need to remove the battery to unlock the camera. Doesn't
matter if it is in Auto or Manual mode. I haven't heard of anyone being able
to  fix this, it is probably due to  dried out capacitors on the main board
or some such.

On the bright side (pun intended), you can carefully pry the focusing screen
out  of your OM-PC carcass and use it in your single digit OM bodies. Seems
to fit just fine, and I think it is equivalent to the 2-13 screen -
definitely brighter than a 1 series screen.

Seems like I  remember someone saying that the prism is the same as used in
the OM-1 (and presumably  other OMs?) so it could be used to repair an OM-1
prism damaged by foam rot.

Best of luck!
Chip Stratton
Owner of one good  OM-PC, and  two carcasses.