RE: [OM] Burnt by CAMETA camera shop

Subject: RE: [OM] Burnt by CAMETA camera shop
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 12:38:59 +1000
Oben wrote:

> I just got a 50mm f1.2 from Cameta Camera in Amytyville. And I
> have a minor
> 'horror' so to speak. The cosmetic appearance of the lens is truly mint-
> like they had graded. The functions are OK too aperture and focussing is
> smooth BUT the rear surface of lenses front element has marks... either
> cleaning or fungus related... i can't tell.  Also they supplied a generic
> rear cap that I think was a bit of a cheap shot too when they
> probably have
> lots of originals.
>
> What do people recommend in this circumstance? Should I return
> the lens? Or
> should I have it cleaned and just never buy from Cameta again?

First, try to get Cameta to pay for the cleaning. I guess there was a
substantial cost in shipping and insurance to get it to Oz, so get a quote
on cleaning in Oz and present that to Cameta.  By the way, I had fungus
cleaned from an 85mm f2 recently and the cost was $AU85.  If they don't
except that you could try returning the lens for a refund.  Seems to ba a
lot of fungus around these days - wonder if it's the greenhouse effect ?

As for the caps, did they advertise original caps ?  If not they do not have
any obligation to supply them.  Probably whoever got the order together for
you didn't even tink of swapping the caps for genuine Oly.

...Wayne