Re: [OM] OT - Tripod Advice Please

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - Tripod Advice Please
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 01:42:12 +0100
Johnny Johnson wrote (about the Benbo tripods):

>...I wonder how I'd do with three legs and a center section all moving
> around at the same time while I'm trying to locate them and lock them in
> place.  Do you normally do this with the camera attached or do you set up
> the tripod and then mount the camera?...

It's vital to practice using it without a camera first. You just have to
realise that you must not let go of the top of the centre column once you've
slackened off the centre bolt or it'll collapse like a noisy rag doll. Once
you grasp that principle the rest is easy. The length and position of each
leg is controlled by your other hand on the knob on the *bottom* section,
which slides up and down like a trombone, and each leg can swing in a wide
arc independently of the others. Tighten each knob when its leg is where you
want it to be and ensuring that the tripod is stable, finally lock the
centre bolt.

>...Seems to me the second method might
> be preferred, especially if you have a quick mount.

Not once you're proficient with it. The whole point is that you can put the
camera exactly where you want it to be and 'build' the tripod underneath it
to keep it there.

I understand there's more practice needed to get it back into its case but I
didn't have one with mine so I was cheated out of that challenge!

Regards,
- Keith