RE: [OM] OT - Tripod Advise Please

Subject: RE: [OM] OT - Tripod Advise Please
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 09:42:28 -0400
Johnny,
You might also consider the Velbon 550 (legs open out flat and also has
bracing, weighs ~5 pounds).  In addition, the SLIK U212 is a good sturdy
tripod that has a lot of features for your needs.  SLIK also makes the 444
that has these features in a 4 pound tripod.  444 is more expensive than the
U212.  U212 is ~6-7 pounds, but has a removable pan head so you could
replace it with a ball head and also have lighter weight.

Velbon 550 head is also removable.

I have a Bogen 3401 (predecessor to the 3021N) and like it a lot, but also
have a Benbo #1 and a Velbon 550.  One of my sons has a U212 and another has
a 444.  Any of them will do the job.

Bogen/Manfrotto will go higher than the others, but is heavier.

Cullmann also makes a "nature-type" tripod that only goes ~2 feet in height.
Light weight but sturdy, don't know model of Cullmann.

Brian P. Huber

> I'm in the market for a tripod.  I really enjoy taking
> pictures of flowers
> -----
  One