[OM] Re: details on "500 mm Olympus Mount" lens on ebay/ vivitar 2,8/100

Subject: [OM] Re: details on "500 mm Olympus Mount" lens on ebay/ vivitar 2,8/100 macro
From: Hans-Jürgen Hertz-Eichenrode <hertz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 12:24:58 +0200
Hi William et all,

as usually late on the digest -
I second the positive comments on that design, but one regularly
reported problem is
quality control, esp. centering of the lenses. I like Rainer have a
Beroflex, which were rumoured to have best quality-selection FWIW,
bought it used for 50 DM.
It´s not too contrasty "wide" open, but a good fun-lens; stopped down a
little it is a nice performer, esp. sharpness at the edges and contrast
improve noticeably but makes it real slow. Not really satisfying - to
put it gently - is the crappy tripod-mount, obviously the most used part
of that lens before any shooting. Besides that it´s light weight makes
it a really convenient unit with my old (ash)wooden tripod and midweight
manfrotto-head.

More interesting is a regularly repeated notion from seemingly
experienced users that the older versions of that lens with 72
mm-filter-diameter are the real, just stunning performers for their
price. This seems to be confirmed by a test in a German magazine anytime
around the 70s, when the term, well directly translated it comes as:
wonder-bag was created for that simple design. My impression with my
lens goes not as far as wonder should reach, so I´ll keep trying to find
an old version for the usual no money.

Well, money - very recently, have not received it yet, I bought on ebay
a Vivitar Macro lens, made my snipe-bid "blind" because of unprecise
description and unsharp pictures, not knowing exactly which version
(excluded that it was not an Elicar-90mm-duplicate), but hoping for a
Series1 90 oder 105 mm; forgot about the auction - and of course I
"won"; and it is not a Series 1, but ordinary 2,8/100, like new in box,
for around 113 US.
Is there any user outside to make a statement whether it will show worth
keeping?

Best regards
Hans-Juergen Hertz-Eichenrode

c/o Europe University Viadrina Frankfurt (Oder)