[OM] 35-80/2.8: Distortion at 35mm

Subject: [OM] 35-80/2.8: Distortion at 35mm
From: "Olaf Greve" <olaf_greve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 09:25:19 -0000
Hi Joel (and others),

I performed my own little test of distortion with the 35-80/2.8 at 35mm.

First off: thanks for sharing the test results with us!

Interestingly enough, about a week ago I did more or less the same. This time I decided to do it a little bit more scientifically and borrowed an extremely heavy Manfrotto tank, ehh.. tripod ;)

Indeed, the tripod is rock solid and it is one of the high end ones (it belongs to the photographer of the company I work for), so that was good for doing the set-up. This time I'm certain the set-up was at least completely leveled, and I hope I managed to get it enough in parallel with the wall.

Then, the shots I took were (all @f5.6, shutter speed approx. 1/15 - 1/30, distance to brick wall approx. 5 metres):

1-35/2.8 Shift (unshifted)
2-35-70/3.6 @ 35mm
3-35-70/3.6 @ +/- 40mm
4-35-70/3.6 @ 70mm
5-35-80/2.8 @ 35mm
6-35-80/2.8 @ +/- 40mm
7-35-80/2.8 @ 80mm

Now, we'll have to wait until I finish the rest of the roll before I'll have the results though, and as I'm almost through my rolls of Provia F it may take a while before we actually get to see the results (as I don't really feel like quickly blowing the rest of this roll of Provia F).

I hope other list members can perform a similar test, if so, please test your zooms (there shouldn't be a further need anymore to test the f2.8 and the f3.6 zooms, as I think your results should be similar to mine for those lenses) at the following settings:
-35mm
-40mm
-70mm (or 105mm for the 35-105/3.5-4.5)
Please test all of them at f5.6 and at roughly a 5m distance to a brick wall (or something else which has clearly straight horizontal lines).

Then to return to Joel's message:

I tried but didn't successfully get the film plane precisely parallel to the wall, so I don't think these tests are definitive by any means, but I think it is still possible to get an idea of the problem.

Yup, it seems 'em walls over there can be pretty drunk too ;)))

though focus is not as good and the lines of this wall are not ideally straight for tests of this nature. (Live and learn.) I probably should have focused directly on the wall, but I didn't (the main subject is the red pump). The difference in DOF between 35mm and 40mm at f4 may be a factor of some sort.

Well, I noticed two things in your shots:
1-You were really close to the wall, perhaps the effect is better demonstrated when shooting from a bit further away, with more lines (like a brick wall). In your shots I found it very difficult to really judge the distortion well. 2-You said it: it seems the camera was not in parallel with the wall, so perhaps that gives a false sense of distortion...

Anyone else who wants to cooperate in these distortion test comparisons? I myself have tested all the lenses I have that include the 35mm focal length, but there are still several other zooms that could be tested (i.e. 35-70/3.5-4.5, 35-70/4, 35-105/3.5-4.5, 3rd party lenses)...

Cheers!
Olafo