Re: [OM] Sighting - Olympus Manager of Sales Planning

Subject: Re: [OM] Sighting - Olympus Manager of Sales Planning
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 09:41:22 -0700
Rich writes:

<< I wonder if it would help the cause any for Olympus to be aware of
the volume of Olympus OM gear trading going on daily on *Bay, and the
value of same? >>

It would probably hurt us by seeing a raise in the prices for new
equipment.  I think Kelton's encounter is an indication that the Olympus
exit pricing for the OM System isn't intentionally designed to raise the
perception of value of the system for a collectors market.  They are
apparently ignorant of its collectability.  But it does raise it, by
default, just like happened with the Pen F system.  Those of us who know
the selling prices and dealer prices for equipment in 1985 laugh (cry?)
at the dealer prices and suggested list prices of what is still in the
catalog.  It is up so much it makes ones head spin.  But it has had the
psychological effect of increasing perceived value of many components of
the OM System.  Consumers have poor memory of what prices were, so they
base their value judgements on what it would presently cost them new.
Owners, on the other hand, remember what they paid.  So its kind of a
buyers market when a reseller can talk an owner into accepting a
depreciation on their initial investment, which is typically low vs.
today's prices.  Many components of the system have APPRECIATED in value
from the peak sales periods of the late 1970s to mid 1980s, but it's a
"seller beware" situation.  My upcoming price guide, in conjunction with
the OM Compendium book, will give sellers more clout.  But a pessimist
might just conclude that since those sellers have already lost interest
in the system, they wouldn't be buying the book anyways.

I'm thinking seriously of adding an index of appreciation, which looks
at the value in relation to the lowest ever USA dealer price - a price
that corresponds closely with same date prices from grey market sellers
like B&H.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV