RE:[OM] Camera Back likes to open on its own!

Subject: RE:[OM] Camera Back likes to open on its own!
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 22:22:19 -0700 (PDT)
Chris Stinson wrote:
Hey, the back on my camera has opened a couple times after a really
"shaky" shot. I've fiddled around with the camera and found that the
back opens up with a bit of a bump. Is this normal, and, if not, what
can I do to keep it shut? (C-clamp? j/k :) . . . (snip)

Chris,

I've never had a problem with an OM camera back latch but, at "Olympus
OM1 and OM2 Overview", URL: http://www.scopereviews.com/om.html,
Ed Ting gives the following advice for buyers of used OMs: ". . . Also,
inspect the little metal hook that latches the back door shut -- make
sure it isn't broken off (always close your OM backs gently.  The latch
is a weak point in the OM camera design.)"

When reading Ed's web page, it should be remembered that he is not an
Oly fan per se but an astronomer, whose interest in OM cameras stems
from their suitablility for his purposes, consequently his review is
relatively impartial. I, personally, found what he had to say about OM
(and the Leica R review that follows) well-written and interesting to
read. YMMV.

Regards,

=====
Ray