Re: Tripod Vibration -- was Re: [OM] My first experience with the OM-1

Subject: Re: Tripod Vibration -- was Re: [OM] My first experience with the OM-1
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 10:45:27 EDT
In a message dated 5/20/01 1:13:05 AM Pacific Daylight Time, zuiko@xxxxxxx
writes:

> It seems that I recall some other camera writer saying too light of a camera
>  on too heavy a tripod causes vibration.

Harmonics?  One could try various techniques to dampen the vibrations of a
given camera/tripod combination, rather than just thinking heavier/lighter is
the answer.  A hand on the tripod or camera, some neoprene foam insulation on
the tripod legs, a sandbag suspended under the center column, using the
tripod with the legs at slightly less than full extension, or some
combination of such techniques, etc..  It might take a bit of experimenting
to find which technique or combination of techniques worked best, but it
might save you from changing tripods, which can get spendy.

I want a Manfrotto, so my tripod quality will rise to the level of my OMs.
If I encounter a vibration problem, I'll be experimenting with it to reduce
or hopefully, eliminate the vibrations, not trudging back to the store to get
a different model.  I hope.

Rich