[OM] Flaring Fifties

Subject: [OM] Flaring Fifties
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 12:12:11 +0100 (BST)
I've noticed that my 40/1.4 seems more susceptible to flare than my
1.8s.  It's a multicoated variant (says so on the nose), but S/N is
<1000000.

If I stand near the window and point a camera with this lens across the
light, I can see a washed out patch at the opposite end of the
viewfinder which goes away when I shade the lens with my hand (needs
closer shading than my lenshoods give) or stop down to f/5.6.

This is much less pronounced with a 1.8 and disappears at f/4

Is this normal?

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
| |   | |   | |             http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/~cpian/          |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |