[OM] Canoe trip gear last request

Subject: [OM] Canoe trip gear last request
From: Johnsonpa@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 12:14:30 EDT
First all, thanks to Bill, Scott, James, Olaf, Eric, Freider, Tom, Chris and
Kelton for replying to my last request.  You left me so confused that I have
not even thought anymore about what I am going to take until today...and I
leave on Monday!!!

Secondly, I don't want to hear another peep from you, Tom, about how much OM
equipment I have :-)  I encourage everyone to look at www.zuikoholic.com to
see what this illness can do to you!  I can assure you that I am just a
hobbiest...I promise.

Okay, so I have done some thinking and figured out my kit for the trip.
It looks likes this for the LowePro Mini Trekker:
OM-4Ti mounted on 300mm/f4.5
24mm/f2.8
18mm/f3.5
2xA & 1.4xA teleconverters
80mm/f4 macro mounted on telescopic auto tube 65-116
T-28 Twin flash and T-Power control
focusing rail and focusing stage
Varimagni Finder
TTL Auto Cord F0.6m
assorted "funnels" (hoods), filters, extra batts, etc.
film

Again, all this fits very easily into the mini trekker, which fits perfectly
into a SealLine Boundary Pack 35 dry bag.

I'm also going to have a easily accessible camera in a SealLine See 5 dry bag.
It will hold an OM-4 with a 35-70mm/f3.5-4.5.
Also in this bag are the 90m/f2 macro and F280 flash.

Okay, here is my logic.
I'm not bringing along the 600mm lens b/c it's just way too big, I don't have
the time to really setup and wait for wildlife, and I don't have the room for
a blind.  The 300mm gets to go because we might happen upon some wildlife and
the teleconverters will give me a little reach if I need it.
I'm bringing along the 80/4 macro, focusing stage & rail and tele auto tube
against the suggestion of several of you b/c I really enjoy macro work.
Plus, I think I will get more photos in the long run by having the focusing
stage and rail instead of trying to move my tripod a couple millimeters on
the forest floor.  I've done it too often, and it's not productive.  The T-28
Twin and TPC go b/c I want to come home with at least something if it is
windy the whole trip.
The 18mm and 24mm should cover the landscape shots.  I decided to not bring a
50mm lens at all because I have the 35-70 zoom for 'snapshots' and don't use
the 50mm lenses for other photos when I have a nice assortment of other
lenses.
The 90mm will be great for quick macro work on the portage trails (frogs and
flowers) and portraits and candids around camp.
My biggest gap, therefore, is 90mm to 300mm.  In a pinch, I can put the 2xA
on the 90mm (will that work?).  I could fill that gap with the 50-250mm/f5,
70-210mm/f3.5 Vivtar Series 1 or 180mm/2.8, but I have always thought of the
200mm range most useful in tight/busy quarters where a person can't walk five
paces closer to the subject because of a wall, fence, crowd or other
obstruction.  Of course, there is the benefit of a narrower angle of view,
but I don't think it's worth bringing a lens along for just that.
Lastly, I chose the F280 for fill flash.  I expect hats will be worn by all
almost every day (no showers for 8 days!), and someone carrying a canoe casts
a deep shadow.

So, what you does everybody think about this kit?

Thanks to everyone.  I will be signing off on Sunday night, so replies before
say 10 or 11 pm est. will be greatly appreciated.

--p.j.