Re: [OM] Cleaning battery contacts

Subject: Re: [OM] Cleaning battery contacts
From: RobBurn@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 08:13:58 EDT
Wayne:

Just remove the screws holding the battery plate/spring retainers, remove the
plates and contact springs, then clean them with whatever you choose. That
will allow you to clean both sides of the plate and get to any potential
corrosion behind them. Coke works fine for removing battery corrosion. Just
be sure to rinse well or the batteries may stick to the plates.  ;o)  Not
really, but it would leave a sticky residue. I usually use a dishwashing
sponge with an mild abrasive on one surface and dishwashing liquid. If
needed, you can use an old toothbrush on the contact springs. I've cleaned
two Winder 2 battery compartments this way. Worked great. The replacement of
the contact springs requires a bit of dexterity. Not difficult; just mildly
annoying.

Robert