Re: [OM] Old Camera whoas

Subject: Re: [OM] Old Camera whoas
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 10:27:45 -0700
John H. writes:

<< They [independent repair technicians/shops] often scavenge for used
parts from junk bodies, even when parts are available new. >>

No doubt that John and Clint have their well established contacts at
Olympus which allow them to get a part fast.  That "in" is worth a
mint!  I suspect that a big reason more shops don't do Olympus repairs
is that getting through to the Parts Department at Olympus America can
be an exercise in futility.  Technicians don't have all day to stay on
the phone and get an order executed.  I understand that just getting a
human on the other end is way harder than it should be.

Clendon:

As for a replacement Canon Ftb, there are lots of used ones available. A
cracked carcass is a "beyond economic repair."  I had a cracked OM-1
once.  It was also a gone'er.  Consider the cracked one as a parts
camera if you simply want to replace it with the same model.  But
considering that you have Canon FD lenses and accessories to go with it,
I'd look into a higher end Canon, like a F1N, a T90 or even an A1. If
you need to stick to a budget, try a AE-1 Program.  Any multi-line
repair shop worth their salt will repair these Canon models.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV