Re: [OM] 90/2 vs 100/2 vs 85/2 Revisited

Subject: Re: [OM] 90/2 vs 100/2 vs 85/2 Revisited
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 23:43:18 +0200 (CEST)
On Sun, 6 May 2001, Dave Bulger wrote:

> Zuiks,
>
> As the poster of the original 90/2 vs 100/2 query, thanks to all for your
> comments & input.  They've given me stuff to think about.
>
> The reason for the original post was that I'm about to do some Zuiko
> housecleaning and wanted some input as to which lenses to keep & which to
> sell -- I've got too many lenses/bodies (eek! blasphemy!) for the 35mm I
> actually shoot (i.e. I have the 85/2, 90/2 AND the 100/2) and intend to sell
> some to further finance my forays into LF hardware.  I'm currently shooting
> a sweet Crown Graphic and want to add a monorail camera and a coupla LF
> lenses to the stable.

Well, have you ever considred doing a build-it-yourself LF camera? Being
both interrested in photography and in fine mechanics, I am in the process
of designing and building a LF monorail. Thus far, I am no farther than
the design-and-parts-prototype stage. I expect that I will have a rough
overall design done in 3-4 months, and I expect the process to take a
while (a year or so) before an actual, picture-taking prototype is
build. However I expect that the first print from a home-build LF will
feel very good - regardless of what's in the picture.

I'll photo-document the progress of building and also (if succesfull) make
the blueprint available somewhere.

A thing I've been considering, though, is if it could be possible to use
Zuiko's on such a home-build LF - with appropriate adaptor of
course. Well, I am not yet up to that part of the design.....

Anyways, on the topic of Zuikos. I have both the zuiko 100 and 85, and my
lens of preference is the 85. The perspective of the 85, while not much
different from that of the 100, still suits me better, and I like the
compactness of the 85 too, as is the bokeh just lovely ;)

The "problem" I have with the 85 is, that it takes 49mm filters. I usually
take the 85/2 and 24/2, and the later takes 55mm filters (hence, I carry
all filters in duplicate).

I have not formally checked anything about sharpness, contrast etc., but
my strictly subjective evaluation tells me that the 85 does "good
enough" for me.

I keep the 100 around in good company on a spare OM4 - so it gets
usage. But not as much as the 85.

I wish I had the 90/2, though. The macro-capabilities would be nice. At
some point, I should get my hands on one....

--thomas

> I'm going to burn a roll of Provia on the three lenses in question at
> varying apertures and distances, scan 'em and put 'em out where y'all can
> see em.  If I get the shooting done today, I'll have pics posted by tomorrow
> evening and will distribute the URL.  While web photos aren't going to be
> the best judge of critical lens focus, they might be better than nothing and
> might help answer some of the questions posted to date.
>
> I'll keep you posted --
>
> Dave

Mange hilsner / Sincerely

  Thomas Heide Clausen