[OM] OT: Coverting Gossen Luna Pro

Subject: [OM] OT: Coverting Gossen Luna Pro
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 16:42:40 EDT
Cc: flzhgn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
flzhgn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I wonder if someone has a fix for my reliable
 old  Gossen Luna Pro light meter ?

This should be easy to convert if you have soldering skills, assuming it is a
conventional Cds meter.
Just connect a Germanium diode for each mercury cell, in series with battery
lead.
For example if the meter uses two 1.35V mercury cells use two diodes etc.
If it uses a mercury battery containing multicells just figure out how many
cells by dividing the rated voltage by 1.35.

A much better fix is to parrallel the actual meter movement itself, with a
suitable shunt resistor.
You would need to open it up enough to get at the meter leads rather than
just the battery leads
This is the most accurate conversion (as good as the original meter) much
better than the diode conversion (which adds non-linearity errors) and is my
recommendation for OM1 conversion.
You need to know/measure the meter movement resistance to calculate the shunt
resistor to use.

                  Regards,
                 Tim Hughes