Re: [OM] aperture ring question

Subject: Re: [OM] aperture ring question
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 13:07:23 -0500
From: William Clark <wclark@xxxxxxx>
I have a brief question. I have sitting in front of me a Vivitar 28 2.5 and
an Olympus 28 2.8.  The aperture ring on the Vivitar can be set IN-BETWEEN
aperture values while the Olympus will only set itself at the specific
f-stops. A 35mm Vivitar also does this. Does anyone know why Vivitar chose to allow a more flexible aperture setting? Is this really more flexible? I
have never really thought about it before.

I don't think it really is more flexible. Just the opposite really. I have a manual macro flash setup that takes advantage of the ability to set the lens to 1/3 and 2/3 of the way between stops. (This is admittedly NOT with a 28/2.8.) Half-stop presets would not be helpful to me.

Joel W.