Re: [OM] Sick camera - any ideas?

Subject: Re: [OM] Sick camera - any ideas?
From: Volkhart Baumgaertner <kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 01:16:49 +0200
Yo y'all,

referring to my jammed OM-2n, on Tue, 24 Apr 2001 00:12:41 +0200, I wrote:

>Well, I guess off to CLA it is - now if only the guys at the private
>"Olympus-Service" would answer their phone (I'd like to ship it to you,
>John, but at the absolutely insane current Dollar rate I'm afraid that's not
>an option). I hope the fact that they gave up their web site doesn't mean
>they closed down alltogether.

I reached the guy (Frank Timmann) last Wednesday. He had been out of town
for a few days, so my fear that he'd gone out of business altogether, based
on the fact that his web site had recently disappeared and that noone picked
up the phone there, was unfounded.
He had to give up his site www.olympus-service.de because Olympus was giving
him trouble. Fits into the picture, IMHO, for them to harass people who
thankfully try to fill the gap after they themselves have abandoned their
most faithful users.
He calls his business "Kamera Logistik" now and told me he is planning on
having a new web site soon. He used to work for Olympus in customer service
and trained service technicians all over Europe.

Anyway, I mailed my 2n off to him for repair and CLA last Thursday. On
Sunday, I received a cost estimate by fax and faxed back the go-ahead right
away. Today (Wednesday) the camera came back looking like new, and if
Tuesday had not been a legal holiday (no mail service) I would probably even
have received it a day earlier. I haven't had time to run film through it
yet, of course, but as far as I can tell after doing the usual quick tests
everything seems to be working normally again. This looks like good and
extremely fast work to me.

So for us living in Europe, this seems like a real alternative to shipping
our stuff overseas for service. For those interested, here is the address:

Kamera Logistik
Frank Timmann
Lohbrügger Weg 22
D-21031 Hamburg
Germany

Phone: +49-40-72410686, Fax: +49-40-72410687

Oh yeah, almost forgot: the charge was DM 216.92 incl. shipping and tax,
which should be about US$ 98.- at the current rate, and he gives a
6-month-warranty on his work.

I don't need to mention that I have no connection with the company, just a
satisfied customer, yadda yadda, etc., and so on.

MtFbwy,
Volkhart

--
Volkhart Baumgaertner     email: kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx